Thursday, July 9, 2015

Just Talk to Jesus: Faith

For the Lord is good, and His love is eternal; His faithfulness endures through all generations. 
(Psalm 100:4-5 HCSB)

One of the reasons I began this study of Patrick and Paul's prayers was a realization that my prayers are often focused on me: my worries, my troubles, and my requests. God is a patient and powerful parent, and he wants to hear my honest voice bringing more than only petitions and complaints. I see this in the prayers of the Apostle Paul; he made requests for himself and his friends, but he also burst into praises and declarations of faith. 

Now to Him who is able to do above and beyond 
all that we ask or think
--according to the power that works in you--
to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. 
(Ephesians 3:20-21)

My prayer theme today is Faith--lifting my eyes from my own circumstances and concerns to focus on our great God, declare my faith in him, and offer praise  to him. St. Patrick's phrase "Christ over me" expresses this so simply. It reminds me that Christ is in control, he is trustworthy, and without him I am powerless.

We do not focus on what is seen, but on what is unseen;
for what is seen is temporary but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18)

O Faithful Lord,
You are great and awesome
and ready to forgive.
I look to You, the Author and source of my faith,
giving You glory and praise,
eternal, wise, loving God.

_____
I am revisiting the themes of several of my books as I seek to “just be with Jesus." Today's post is adapted from my book Sacred Signposts. I am putting aside lengthy readings for a season, and instead looking for one word or phrase from a scripture portion to carry through the day. Today’s word, for me, is "faith."

photo credit: Gougane Barra via photopin (license)

No comments:

Post a Comment